BookmarksBookmarks: 0
Views: 2504

Re: Sons of migrants or parents from non circumcising lands

Postby Frecklover » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:03 am

Men are circumcised to attract and pleasure women. đź’‘
Frecklover

Postby Rufus_Stuntbum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 am

Deadheart wrote:Interesting, I know American hospitals can be very insistent on parents to do it but I don't think it is automatically done. Most likely they were told the health reasons and that nearly all boys have it done so they went along. A circumcised Swede sounds more rare than a unicorn or leprechaun lol.

Actually most US hospitals used to do it without asking. It think that gradually started to change maybe in the late 70s or 80s when they started to worry about getting sued. I think a few hospitals in the midwest and south probably still do things 'the old fashioned way'. And then a lot of hospitals did/still do make it sound like it's required. Their way of asking is more like 'sign here please so we can circumcise your son.'

This isn't the place to argue about whether the above is ethically right or wrong - I'm just pointing out that A LOT of US hospitals used to do it without asking or their way of asking was more like a command.
Rufus_Stuntbum

Postby snoman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:51 am

[quote="Rufus_Stuntbum"

This isn't the place to argue about whether the above is ethically right or wrong - I'm just pointing out that A LOT of US hospitals used to do it without asking or their way of asking was more like a command.[/quote]

Since I first posted this question I've heard from a couple of people in the US who told me (on the West coast) it was more a case of being told "Just bring him back in around 7 days and we'll do the circumcision then..", so it would seem in at least 2 hospitals (in Northern and Southern Cali) it's still 'suggested' as a the normal thing to do.

I do wonder though, how migrant parents with no prior exposure to circumcision must react to this..
snoman

Postby hardware » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:34 pm

This is me. My father and his family immigrated to the US in the early 60s. I was born in the late 60s, and I assume I wasn't cut because it wasn't a thing in SA unless for religious reasons.

In many ways, my father and his family tried to assimilate, but for me anyway, RIC wasn't one of them.
hardware

Postby JakePeters » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:23 pm

snoman wrote:This is something I've often wondered about. Do you/ do your friends have parents who come from non-circumcising countries and what influenced their decision to circumcise or not?

I think back to my childhood in Australia where it felt as though i was the only uncut kid in my whole school. Of course that wasn't the case - all but 2 of the greek boys were uncut - but in my peer group I was the lone foreskin.

Yet, I had friends whose parents came from Ireland, from Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Italy..and they were all circumcised.

I often wondered what their parents attitudes must have been. If they allowed themselves to be convinced by the doctors, went along with the doctors happily or just didn't know.

Anyone else?

I don't know anyone with foreign parents, I think. But, I do know a woman from Ireland who moved to America a few years ago, and then she met a guy who she had a kid with. He's American, so he convinced her to circumcise their son. She was indifferent, but he was adamant.
JakePeters

Postby P51Geo1980 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:11 am

In my experience, immigrants to the US seem to assimilate circumcision rather quickly. Until I was 33, I was uncircumcised. I was born in France but immigrated to the US when I was two months old. My folks once told me they would have circumcised me at that point, but they didn’t find out it was so common here until my brother was born four years later. They chose to have him circumcised. For what I remember, all their immigrant friends also circumcised their USA-born sons.
P51Geo1980

Postby Frecklover » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:07 pm

I think it ironic that the Scandinavian nations are at the forefront of the movement to have routine infant and child circumcision banned, and yet in the US States with the largest number of Scandinavian settler descendants, like Wisconsin and Minnesota, the RIC rate is at its highest! It seems very telling that these fair Gods and Goddesses went from con to pro-circumcision so strongly once they’d encountered it in their new adopted country. Perhaps they should have a word with their European cousins about the wonderful health and aesthetic benefits of being circumcised the “All-American-Scandinavian” way!?
Frecklover

Previous