It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Iceland

FollowersFollowers: 0
BookmarksBookmarks: 0
Views: 273

Iceland

Postby Frecklover » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:59 am

So the Icelandic parliament are about to ban circumcision for all infants and children, unless medically necessary. This is upsetting the small Jewish community (around 250 people) and is ruffling feathers amongst religious leaders across the world.
I’ve been to Iceland, beautiful country, beautiful people. I realise that the number of circumcised Icelanders is already very low, but I feel sorry for Icelandic girls who will probably not encounter the joys of a circumcised lover amongst their own communities. We will be even more precious and sought after there. My Icelandic lovers both loved that I am cut. I was their first experience of it!
Frecklover

Circumcision Status: Cut high & tight
Age of circumcision: Childhood
Tumblr: angelsandfreckles221
Twitter: Adam@clovercutxx

Re: Iceland

Postby Cufflinks » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:07 am

This won't go anywhere. As long as science is on its side, circumcision is here to stay.
Some people’s opinion one simply cannot change. Mine, for example.
Cufflinks

Circumcision Status: Cut low & loose

Postby snoman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 am

I'm watching with interest and hoping if it passes it doesn't set a precedent. The Scandinavian lands in particular seem to be extremely progressive about personal rights, which ordinarily I'd agree with, but I still think circumcision is a parent's choice to make, and removing that choice is something I don't really want to see.
snoman

Age of circumcision: Early adulthood
FetLife: hawksmoor

Postby Cufflinks » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 am

snoman wrote:I'm watching with interest and hoping if it passes it doesn't set a precedent. The Scandinavian lands in particular seem to be extremely progressive about personal rights, which ordinarily I'd agree with, but I still think circumcision is a parent's choice to make, and removing that choice is something I don't really want to see.

It may be passed off as progressive, but what is really behind it is the Scandinavian (and Germanic) obsession with universality, which leads to abhorrence of exception. This is a direct clash of values between Scandinavian societal understanding and Jewish societal understanding, insofar as the Jews must necessarily consider themselves exceptional - it is their very definition: The chosen ones, remember?
:)
So, integrating that with the context of Icelandic "we want to make sure nobody gets marginalized" should be another flinchworthy exercise to watch, just as it was in Germany in 2012, where it ended up leading to nothing in the end. And that is what I foresee here, too. Because it would be un-Scandinavian to steamroll an established group into submission against their values.

But perhaps I am speaking as a Swede here.
Let's see how Iceland will fare - I would be very disappointed in them if they brush off the issue with something as flat as "it does not fit in here."
Some people’s opinion one simply cannot change. Mine, for example.
Cufflinks