It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Angels

FollowersFollowers: 0
BookmarksBookmarks: 0
Views: 150

Angels

Postby Frecklover » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:26 am

An interesting thought. Scriptures tell us that Angels are created physically perfect, and therefore male Angels are created already circumcised! See I knew it! Circumcision = perfection!
Frecklover

Re: Angels

Postby Cufflinks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 am

That must be the part the Italian and German sculptors during the baroque era must have mistranslated. All the angels fluttering about in churches in Florence, Munich, and Vienna seem foreskinned. Wonder what it would look like corrected.
Some people’s opinion one simply cannot change. Mine, for example.
Cufflinks

Postby Frecklover » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:59 am

Yeah they got that wrong..... like Michaelangelo got his David wrong!!
Frecklover

Postby Cufflinks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 pm

There is not a single, circumcised penis anywhere in the European art scene between the year 0 and 1800. They obviously had no clue what it looked like.
Cufflinks

Postby Gemlt » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:38 pm

This initially seems really bizarre to me. It’s not surprising that the majority of nude males would be uncut in classical art, because most of the models would be expected to be uncircumcised. I think it would almost be stranger if the painters and sculptors had employed artists’ licence and “circumcised” the subjects of their work. Nevertheless, that there should be no Jewish models used as nude references in all of European art history is somewhat astonishing. I’m guessing that this is because of strict rules regarding modesty within traditional Judaism (Tzniut). That said, it’s still hard to believe that Christian’s would have been so much more relaxed towards nudity throughout history; probably an implicit bias that is the result of growing up in a nation founded upon Puritanical principles.
Gemlt
Site Admin

Postby Cufflinks » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:17 am

I have actually once owned a book documenting erotica from ancient Greece to the 20th century. In it, there were amazingly candid illustrations from medieval Europe, proving once and for all to me that our commonly held views of the puritanical dark ages are wrong. But despite that, there are no circumcised penises on display. It may, as you say, have to do with religious codes, but it may even more so have to do with fear of prosecution, because it has never outside our times been a good thing to belong to the circumcised circles. Jews, Muslims... they were hated in what we call the western world.

And in their own, cultural spheres, nudity would have been out of the question, so we probably won't see anything from the Ottoman Empire containing those types of visuals.

Or am I wrong?

There was, after all, the entire harem culture... wonder if someone with insight can find some illustrations for us, stemming from that time?
Cufflinks

Postby Frecklover » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:55 am

I’m not just talking about Angels in art. I believe that real Angels walk amongst us, male and female. They have charismatic, enigmatic auras.... it’s weird I know but I’m convinced there are “people” I have met who are sooooo special they are not like the rest of us?? And they are created physically perfect, the males are created already circumcised,
Frecklover