It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Circ culture in the USA Midwest

FollowersFollowers: 0
BookmarksBookmarks: 0
Views: 445

Circ culture in the USA Midwest

Postby hardware » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:30 pm

I've heard for a long time that the Midwest (USA) remains a bastion of circumcision. Last fall I remember hearing STORY ON NPR about boys being required to swim nude in Physical Education classes. I can't help but wonder if this was one of the peer-pressure-to-conform factors...
hardware

Re: Circ culture in the USA Midwest

Postby Cufflinks » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Can you believe it, woollen swim gear... man, I would have preferred to swim in the nude, too. Still, very surprising. I always imagined the English speaking world at that time to be on the verge of negating the very existence of human genitals.
Some people’s opinion one simply cannot change. Mine, for example.
Cufflinks

Postby Gemlt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:03 pm

As someone living in the midwest, I wish I could speak more to this, but the topic really doesn’t come up that much. I’ve overheard one girl telling others about an experience with an uncut man where she didn’t know what to do, which prompted quite a few giggles. In the few other random times that circumcision’s come up, most women seem to be for it, but there’s rarely a sexual implication that’s included in these conversations. The Blood-Stained Men came through my town a few years back, and a few women spoke out on social media about how ridiculous they thought this was, but that’s about the extent of it.

Male peers are a little bit more likely to mention circumcision, though the conversation is almost always focused around the importance of circumcising one’s son. The reasoning is pretty typical; wanting son to look like dad, cleaner, better looking and the like. I do have one friend that’s against RIC, perhaps because he’s the child of immigrants, but I wouldn’t describe him as militant about it.
Gemlt
Site Admin

Postby Gemlt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 pm

As an ironic addendum, I fairly frequently swim at a local college’s pool where the largest demographic of swimmers is actually visiting Asian students and professors. Without wanting to be too prejudiced, I would say that I’m assuming that the few Asians that are cut are probably Korean, while the vast majority are Chinese-a deduction I’m making based almost strictly off of circumcision status (there are Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. students and faculty around here, but nowhere nearly as many as Chinese). Consequently, it’s not at all uncommon for me to be the only man in the shower without a foreskin. Thus it’s always kind of funny to me that you all seem to see cut guys at the gym or sauna all the time, when here I am, in the circumcision capital of the western world, surrounded by uncut men.
Gemlt
Site Admin

Postby Cufflinks » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:21 am

I think the US may well be the only place in the world where the anti circ movement results in guys in costumes taking to the street. If this kind of event was ever done here in Sweden, people would not know what to make of it. Nobody really has a clue what circumcision is, and the younger generation of immigrants from the middle East, who know everything about it, might get pretty angry, I am sure, because it attacks a core value of their upbringing. I really believe Europe is heading for near universal circumcision in the younger generation, because the younger generation here is almost entirely Arabic.

And I really hope they retain the self respect necessary to realize how many amazing things their culture has to offer, and that they'll bring us classy manifestations of them. The food alone... wow.
Cufflinks

Postby Gemlt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 am

Although this is just pretty vague speculation, I imagine that the biggest expansion of circumcision into traditionally non-circumcising demographics will come if/when a significant portion of physicians is made up of Muslims. I haven’t seen any specific numbers, but I suspect that circumcision in the States peaked in an era when Jewish physicians made up a larger proportion of practicing doctors. Although a big chunk of the doctors I’ve seen in adulthood have been Indian, Arab or SE Asian, I don’t remember seeing a Gentile physician before my teens.
Gemlt
Site Admin

Postby Cufflinks » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:06 am

Gemlt wrote:Although this is just pretty vague speculation, I imagine that the biggest expansion of circumcision into traditionally non-circumcising demographics will come if/when a significant portion of physicians is made up of Muslims. I haven’t seen any specific numbers, but I suspect that circumcision in the States peaked in an era when Jewish physicians made up a larger proportion of practicing doctors. Although a big chunk of the doctors I’ve seen in adulthood have been Indian, Arab or SE Asian, I don’t remember seeing a Gentile physician before my teens.

That would explain this article in a German magazine from 2013, according to which circumcisions in 2013 were up 30%. There have been a lot of surgeons from the Middle East moving in.
*** The link is only visible for members, go to login. ***
Cufflinks

Postby hardware » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:52 am

My GP who encouraged me to get circumcised is Hispanic (Mexican?) - traditionally non-circumcising, but she definitely thought it was the best option for my own health concern and did not hesitate to recommend it.
hardware

Postby hardware » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:53 am

Gemlt wrote:Although this is just pretty vague speculation, I imagine that the biggest expansion of circumcision into traditionally non-circumcising demographics will come if/when a significant portion of physicians is made up of Muslims. I haven’t seen any specific numbers, but I suspect that circumcision in the States peaked in an era when Jewish physicians made up a larger proportion of practicing doctors. Although a big chunk of the doctors I’ve seen in adulthood have been Indian, Arab or SE Asian, I don’t remember seeing a Gentile physician before my teens.

I have, for a number of years, wondered if this had some impact on the growth of routine circumcision in the US between the 30s and the 70s...
hardware